This full-day interactive workshop will focus on budget production by creating supporting schedules, analyzing preliminary June 30th year-end financial information to the 2017-2018 fiscal year budget. We will then focus on the budget awards that can be applied for to give positive publicity for your agency or District.
You will learn how to create and maintain company, departmental, cost center, line item operating budgets. This class will be for all levels of Excel users, and applies to anyone creating budget documents in Excel, Word, and PowerPoint. We will create linked tabs and documents from your company’s budgets online, as well as from my former organization Padre Dam Municipal Water District. We will create Excel tables, charts, graphs and use Pivot Tables and V-Lookups. Bring any Excel budget files from your agency electronically, and we will discuss and work with them.
This class is for anyone working in the budget process, using Office, or wants to learn more about the details of how budget documents are created.
A laptop with this Office installed will be required. PC version will be used in class.
Prerequisite - Completing Budgeting 101 in the Water Industry is recommended but not required.
- My introduction - qualifications
- Attendee Introductions
- Discuss the latest budget cycle
- Show the Budget for PDMWD
- Show some attendees online budgets
- Excel - Create 3-year Operating Departmental Schedule
- Excel - Create and Analyze Year End Financial Statements
- Excel - Update Budget Files with Actual Preliminary Year End Amounts
- Word - Create Department Descriptions
- Word - Create Supporting Verbiage for Budget Variances to prior year.
- PowerPoint - Create Presentations for Management and Board of Directors
- Power Point and Excel Files
- Power Point and Word Files
- CSMFO Award Criteria
- GFOA Award Criteria
1:45 - 3:00
- Excel - Analyze Budget Variances
- Excel - Create Charts and Graphs
- Excel - Create Pivot Tables and V-Lookups
- Excel - Tips and Tricks
Member $150 / Non-member $250
This workshop is 8:00 am - 3:00 pm
Earn up to 6 contact hours.
Instructor: Len Legotte